Thank you for your investment. Shortly, you will be receiving a welcome email with your login credentials within 24-48 hours to access all the training and resources in Sales Tax System!
Your credit card statement will show a charge from ‘Nevada Corporate Planners, Inc.
Do you need immediate access to our service to apply for sales tax permits? If so, see our 8-step process below: *
- Complete our Sales Tax Permit Service Agreement
Initial and sign that you understand the terms, process, and time frames for our team to register for your permits.
- Complete our Sales Tax Registration Application
You will receive our online sales tax registration application via a secure (SSL) online link. Comprehensive video training Including; sales/use tax nexus examples , nexus start date, estimated monthly sales, and ownership and tax status. Our sales tax application autofills all state applications to increase processing speed.
- Sales Tax Registration Application Comprehensive Review
Once the application is reviewed (within 48 hours), you will receive an email with the additional information that may be required. Our team reviews key points including; the accuracy of entity and ownership information, start dates, state sales levels, and key documents required. Details are provided if additional information is required by each state. Our team will follow up if a state requires foreign registration before your sales tax permit registration. The fees for foreign registration (if required), are separate.
- Payment of the Additional Fees
Once the sales tax application review is completed, you will receive an email with an itemization of any state (and city) fees, or mailing fees if required, plus a payment link.
- Preparation for Registration
Before we apply for your chosen sales tax permits, our team of experts will complete any extra steps that are required. This includes setting up a secure cloud folder for state filings. Your folder will contain the documents from the state permit registrations and a sales tax summary spreadsheet. It contains the permit numbers, login details, confirmation codes & numbers, filing frequency, additional information per state, and other important permit information.
- Sales Tax Registrations
Our team will prudently submit and track your applications to your selected states, both online and by mail/fax. The online application process requires creating a tax remitting and/or registration account which our team will do for you. We will organize all your login details and save them in a secure LastPass login which will save all your login details for easy access. Any applications that require a paper application (typically when an SSN or ITIN is not present for the signer) our team will prepare, review and mail paper sales tax applications. Our team will let you sign those forms and we will either mail it or fax, (if allowed in a state) to the respective state departments.
- Follow-up on Your Registrations
Our team will call the states for pending items regarding your registrations as required or any additional steps to complete the registration (especially those applications that are mailed). Our team will link the tax registration to the tax remitting accounts. Since the registration process differs with each state (as mentioned in step 6, there are states that have two accounts to open – registration account & remitting account), our team will link those two accounts to complete the registration. Linking accounts requires the permit number and confirmation codes.
- Finalize & Provide Records
Our team will update any changes to your logins, including the specific email we set up to speed up the process of authenticating before we finish the process. Our team will update any changes to your login details in your LastPass shared folder and update your summary spreadsheet with state permits.
You will receive a list of the states that require any next steps, and any states that require foreign qualification after applying for your permits.
 One of the important factors in permit registrations is to determine when you first triggered sales/use tax nexus in each state. This involves reviewing Physical Nexus, Economic Nexus, Notice & Reporting, and the Marketplace Facilitator States. Don’t want to determine this part yourself? We do have sales tax nexus services.
 By completing our Sales Tax General Application, all the information on the form will be merged into each application for every state you selected on the general form. This process is mostly used when mailing an application to the state is required.
 In some states there will be two accounts to register – one for the actual permit application and another for tax remitting. There are applications that require a two-factor authentication before registration, which slows down the process. Our team will set up a specific email to speed up the process of authentication.
 LastPass is a password manager that stores encrypted passwords online.
 Foreign registration services, if required, are separate.
Update 6-21-18: Utah is the most recent FBA State. Now there are 29 FBA states, less 3 without sales tax = 26 FBA states. Plus you need to review the economic nexus and reporting states. You may have enough sales in these states and are required to register. There are also 43 economic nexus states, 16 notice and reporting, and 33 marketplace facilitator states. Sales Tax System covers more on these states as to economic nexus thresholds and which ones do you still need to register even if the marketplace facilitator (Amazon) is collecting and remitting.
*Are you planning to sell tobacco, large appliances, prepaid wireless cards, alcohol, tires or firearms? If so, you will need a special permit which is beyond the scope of our $75 service. We would recommend you speak with one of our SALT experts, their fees are separate.
Products NOT subject to sales tax? If you are selling products that MAY not be subject to sales tax, that will need to be a separate independent determination before we apply for permits. We would refer you to a SALT expert first then come back to apply for permits. For example, necessity goods including foods, medicine, and clothing are often exempt from sales tax (or sometimes taxed at a lower rate).
Please whitelist our email (@www.salestaxsystem.com) so all our emails will be received by you. Here is an outline how to whitelist an email. You will receive emails to the process and a link to our application to apply for your permits after you order.
States where you MAY NOT be ready to Apply for a Permit:
- Tennessee — Will not allow you to register if your gross sales for the year are under $4,800 or your taxable services for the year do not exceed $1,200.
- Colorado- Requires an entity to foreign qualify to do business in the state first and once you have that number you will be able to apply for the sales tax permit. The LLC and Corporate state fee are $100 and $350 for our services to foreign register your LLC or Corporation (see details below).
- Oklahoma- (non FBA state, but economic nexus and reporting state). You must first foreign qualify in the state before applying for a sales tax permit. Oklahoma requires you to register with a Vendor Use Tax (equivalent of a Sales Tax permit) but before you obtain a Vendor Use Tax, you will need to first register with the Secretary of State. This applies to both LLCs and corporations. An LLC does not have a franchise tax but vendor use tax (learn more here).
- West Virginia- Updated December 2018: West Virginia said foreign registration it is not required anymore for them to foreign register with the secretary of state. They will just need to fill out the paper form and mail it to them. Their online application will require them to foreign register but since they are an out-of-state or remote seller, they should not need to go register online. This was updated in middle October 2018, during the time they published a notice about the economic nexus rules.
- Here is the process to foreign register into a state (as a foreign LLC or Corporation):
- Check your name for availability in the state
- Certificate of Good Standing (must be less than 60 days old)Registered Agent
- Complete the forms to foreign qualify
- Include a copy of your articles of incorporation
- Pay the state foreign registration fee (varies from state to state).
- Foreign registration fees:
- After you obtain your Secretary of State Number you will be able to apply for your sales tax permit.
- *Our sister company, NCP, will provide this service to complete all the steps to foreign register your entity in EACH state is $350 (this includes registered agent service for the first year). The state fee is separate (which varies from state to state).
- Here is an overview of what is included in our foreign qualification service.
U.S. Virtual Address with Scanning is Recommended
A U.S. mailing address is NOT required but recommended when we apply for permits. The states will mail your application to your address on file. We have found with a foreign address many states do NOT use the correct postage or know how to add a foreign address for mailing purposes which both result in you not getting your permit and having to follow up with each state on your account to ask them to resend your permit. If they are requested to resend your permit, they are more likely to notice the address and use the correct postage.
We also recommend our service for U.S. sellers because when you register for 20 states you will receive a lot of mail (up to 5 pieces per month per state)! Our service will scan and organize all your state mail for you.
Our concern if you use a foreign address not only may you not receive your permits after we applied but it may create more effort on your part to follow up with each state. Plus if the state sends notices in the future about sales tax being owed or any issues you may not receive those important notices. Our recommendation is that you have a U.S. address service to forward the mail to you.
Our sister company, NCP is able to provide such an address service. Here is an outline of our Virtual Address Service and fees. Selecting an address is a random state that has no benefit to your business is not a good idea either. Why run the risk of creating the appearance of “nexus” with your address in a state like New York that is heavily taxed, just because you found an address service in that state.
Important Updates on Key States (Permits Required)
- Arizona –Sellers without an SSN or ITIN are NOT able to apply for a sales tax number in Arizona. Updated as of January 2017 and recently being enforced. They will likely come to their senses and realize they will be the only state with those requirements which means all international sellers won’t be able to apply. Maryland used to be like this before they figure it out, we assume Arizona will also.
- Colorado – Requires foreign registration for corporations and LLCs BEFORE applying for a sales tax permit. Here is an overview of what is included in our foreign qualification service.
- D.C. If the entity is the applicant, and it foreign qualifies to do business within D.C., the office of tax and revenue said the responsible party can be the registered agent. Therefore, foreign qualification is mandator with this option. Sales Tax System does provide support for this service. This means if the responsible party (owner) does not have a SSN or ITIN, you are not able to register unless you use the registered agent option
- Kansas (updated August 2019) As of October 1st, 2019, you will need to register to collect and remit sales tax on your first sale after in the state. This is the only state with NO thresholds and it is not a marketplace facilitator state (where Amazon collections).
- Maryland – Maryland will now allow you to obtain a sales tax permit if you do NOT have an SSN or ITIN. You will need to submit a notarized affidavit stating: “I agree that the Sales and Use Tax permit will be governed by the Jurisdiction of the State of Maryland in the case of an issue that arises out of this Sales and Use Tax Account.” and submit along with your sales tax application.
- Virginia – Update: Storing products for sale (such as in a fulfillment center) in Virginia will once again create sales tax nexus for online sellers and other retailers starting July 1, 2017. Before this time there was a Letter Ruling 15-194 was published, many FBA sellers have decided to not collect and remit sales tax in this state. Here is a link to the Letter Ruling: http://www.tax.virginia.gov/laws-rules-decisions/rulings-tax-commissioner/15-194. Our recommendation has been all along that this does not apply to all sellers and would likely change, and it has so we recommend you apply for a sales tax permit in Virginia (vs waiting until July 1st).
States with Additional Requirements After You Apply for a Permit:
- California- $800 Annual Corporation & LLC Franchise Tax Fee (does NOT apply for sole proprietorships).
- Even though you are able to apply for a sales tax permit in California without being registered in the state, if you operate as a separate legal entity U.S. or international (does not apply to sole proprietorships or traders- means doing business in your own name) your entity will need to pay the $800 annual franchise tax fee. It is waived the first year for corporations. Keep in mind it is really a minimum annual franchise tax fee and based on the type of entity and profits you may owe more than $800.
Corporations & LLCs are subject to an $800 annual tax if they are doing business in California. The annual tax is prepaid for the privilege of doing business in California and is due and payable on or before the 15th day of the 4th month after the beginning of the taxable year. If you were engaged in business in California on or after April 15th, 2015 you are subjected to this tax regardless if your company is registered in California or not.
The $800 franchise tax fee is waived the first year for the corporation unless you have enough profit based upon the state corporate tax rate. Learn more here.
The minimum tax is waived on newly formed or qualified corporations filing an initial return for their first taxable year. However, any first-year net income is still subject to the 8.84 percent tax rate.
- We recommend foreign qualifying in the state of California to achieve compliance. Do not assume that you are not required to foreign qualify, based on being able to apply for a sales tax permit and file the state return without foreign qualification. The fact that you are required to file a tax return suggests that your corporation or LLC has nexus and is required to foreign qualify. See full details on this page.
- Florida requires all corporations with sales in Florida to file a state corporate tax return. Tax returns are due April 15th of each year for the previous calendar year. Foreign registration is not required to file the corporate return. The state of Florida will issue an Out of State Certificate to non-Florida corporations. The Out of State Certificate number will be used on the Corporate tax return in lieu of a Florida state business registration number.Even though you are able to file a state corporate return without foreign qualification into the state of Florida, it is recommended for complete compliance to foreign qualify. This does not apply to sole proprietors and LLCs.
- We recommend foreign qualifying in the state of Florida to achieve compliance. Do not assume that you are not required to foreign qualify, based on being able to apply for a sales tax permit and file the state return without foreign qualification. The fact that you are required to file a tax return suggests that your corporation has nexus and is required to foreign qualify.
- Florida Corporate Tax Return Form 1120: dor.myflorida.com/Forms_library/current/f1120.pdf. Florida corporate tax rates.
- Details on Florida Corporate Tax Return: http://floridarevenue.com/dor/taxes/corporate.html A corporation that has zero tax due or owes less than $2,500 in tax may file Form F-1120A if certain criteria are met.
- Tax Return Due Date: 15 days after the Corporation’s Federal Taxes are due (does not apply to extensions) For example, if the federal return is due on May 15, the related Florida Form F-1120 is due on June 1. You must file a return, even if no tax is due.
- Foreign Qualification/Registration: Our concern is that if the Department of Taxation does share the list of corporate returns filed with their own Secretary of State in the future, you may receive a notice years down the road that you were required to be foreign registered at the Secretary of State’s Level and therefore must pay the past foreign registration fees plus late fees, plus any additional late fees assessed by the Secretary of State’s office.
- Florida does assess a $500 late fee if your start date on the foreign registration application is the previous year. The date is based on when you first started a business in Florida which is related to when you first earned income. If you had FBA stock in October and had your first sale in October of 2017 and you foreign qualification in March of 2018, Florida will automatically assess a $500 late fee. Risk using a current date? Not recommended because their form has a 3rd-degree felony if providing false information and the state may already know when you had sales in the state.
- Our sister company NCP offers a foreign registration service for $350 plus Florida state fees of $125 for LLCs and $70 for Corporations. Here is an overview of what is included with our foreign qualification service.
- Colorado (see above, required foreign qualification BEFORE applying for a sales tax permit).
- Kentucky requires all Corporations and LLCs with sales in Kentucky to file a business tax return. Business tax returns are due by April 15 — or by the 15thday of the 4th month following the end of the taxable year (for fiscal year filers). To file the tax return companies will need to apply for a Kentucky Tax Account. There is a minimum payment on the corporate tax return of $175, even if the business has $0 profits. Sole Proprietors and General Partnerships do not have to file a Kentucky Tax return for their business.
- Based on the Kentucky requirements for out of state businesses selling in Kentucky (and completing their nexus questionnaire) it is recommended that out of state Corporations and LLCs selling in Kentucky foreign register their business with the Kentucky Secretary of State.
- Our sister company NCP, offers a foreign registration service for $350 plus Kentucky’s state fees of $90.00 for LLCs and $100 for Corporations. Here is an overview of what is included with our foreign qualification service.
- Kentucky Tax Forms: http://revenue.ky.gov/Business/Corporation-Income-and-Limited-Liability-Entity-Tax/Pages/default.aspx
- New Jersey- You will be able to apply for a sales tax permit without being foreign registered up front, but foreign registration is still required. New Jersey has a nexus questionnaire and question #4 will determine that you have nexus in the state. New Jersey requires all Corporations and most LLCs with sales in New Jersey to file a business tax return. For forms, due dates and addition information click this link www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/current/cbt/cbt100ins.pdf.
- There is a minimum payment on the corporate tax return of $500, even if the business has $0 profits. Sole Proprietors and Single Member Disregarded LLCs do not have to file a New Jersey return for their business, but are required to file a personal income tax return.
- You will have to file a corporate or partnership return annually. This state tax return requires a number to file, it may be your sales tax permit number plus three zeros (which is your EIN plus three zeros). If you do not yet have a state ID number from foreign qualification. Because you obtained a sales tax permit as a corporation or partnership, the state will share that information with the corporate division and expect a state tax return filed the following year.
Based on the New Jersey requirements for out of state businesses selling in New Jersey it is recommended that out of state Corporations and LLCs selling in New Jersey foreign register their business with the New Jersey Secretary of State.
Our sister company NCP offers a foreign registration service for $350 plus New Jersey state fees of $125 for LLCs and $150 for Corporations. Here is an overview of what is included with our foreign qualification service.
- The foreign registration process for the state of New Jersey is a two-step process. First, the Public Records Filing for New Business Entity must be filed to obtain the 10-digit NJ Business/Corp Number. Once that number is obtained, the Business Registration Application must also be filed. The 10-digit NJ Business/Corp Number must go on this application.
- Pennsylvania – requires all corporations with sales in Pennsylvania to file a state corporate tax return. Tax returns are due April 15 of each year for the previous calendar year. Foreign registration is not required to file the corporate return. You will be issued a permit without foreign registration. When you obtained a sales tax permit as a corporation, the state will share that information with the corporate division and expect a corporate tax return to be filed the following year. A state ID number is required to file the state corporate return. You obtain the state ID number for your corporation when it foreign qualifies to do business in the state. An LLC taxed as a disregarded entity (sole proprietorship) or partnership does not have a state tax return.
- Pennsylvania State Tax Returns Overview Letter from PA.
- Based on the Pennsylvania requirements for out of state businesses selling in Pennsylvania it is recommended that out of state corporations selling in Pennsylvania foreign register their business with the Secretary of State.
- Our sister company NCP offers a foreign registration service for $350 plus Pennsylvania states fees of $250. Here is an overview of what is included with our foreign qualification service.
- Pennsylvania Tax Forms:
- * State fees are separate.
Here is the process to foreign register into a state (as a foreign LLC or Corporation):
- Check your name for availability in the state
2. Registered Agent
3. Complete the forms to foreign qualify
4. Include a copy of your articles of incorporation
5. Pay the state foreign registration fee (varies from state to state).
*Our sister company, NCP, will provide this service to complete all the steps to foreign register your entity in EACH state is $350 (this includes registered agent service for the first year). The state fee is separate (which varies from state to state). Send us a ticket if you need support to foreign register and in what states to email@example.com
Here is an overview of what is included in our foreign qualification service.
*You may also use our “do it yourself” step-by-step process located in Sales Tax System under State Permits/*States to Apply for Permits* (which has a drop-down menu with all of the states that charge sales tax).
If you have any questions please email our team at support@SalesTaxSystem.com
Welcome again to Sales Tax System!
Dedicated to Your Success,
P.S. All your bonuses are located at https://salestaxsystem.mykajabi.com/login